Recipe: Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup
1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
8 (approx.) medium tomatoes, preferably home grown
5 cups water or stock, divided
1 Ω teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 medium onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Quarter the tomatoes and place them in a shallow roasting pan. Add the peeled garlic cloves. Drizzle with approximately 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add 3 cups of the water/stock. Sprinkle with the thyme, pepper, and salt.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 60 minutes, stirring once during the baking.
- Remove the foil, stir again, and bake for another 30 minutes.
- While the tomatoes and garlic are baking, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a soup pot. Add the sliced onions, cover and cook over medium heat until tender and lightly colored, about 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of water/stock to the onions and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- When the tomatoes and garlic have finished baking, transfer them to the soup pot. Using a stick blender, purÈe the soup until smooth.
- Adjust the seasonings, ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle each bowl with fresh parsley.